What is VPS Hosting
Virtual private server (VPS) is a marketing term used by Internet hosting services to refer to a virtual machine for use exclusively by an individual customer of the service. The term is used to emphasize that the virtual machine, although running in software on the same physical computer as other customers’ virtual machines, is functionally equivalent to a separate physical computer, is dedicated to the individual customer’s needs, has the privacy of a separate physical computer, and can be configured to run as a server computer (i.e. to run server software). The term Virtual Dedicated Server or VDS is used less often for the same concept.
Each virtual server can run its own full-fledged operating system and can be independently rebooted.
Benefits of VPS Hosting
In a Shared Hosting environment as opposed to a VPS, it will be shared by different users, so you may find it difficult sometimes as the scripts installed by other users may kill your business. VPS Hosting differs here with a virtually dedicated environment. The VPS will contain the scripts or programs that needed by user only. Thus VPS brings you less worries than a shared hosting environment.
Are VPS hosting plans secure?
As with every type of web hosting, the security of VPS hosting plans depend on the quality of the hosting
provider’s data center and the safeguards built to protect data in all circumstances. Important considerations to confirm before purchasing a hosting plan include:
* Routine server backups to protect your website and data.
* SSL and SFTP, both necessary for safe data transmission.
* Network security from malicious attacks.
* Physical protection from natural disasters and emergencies.
* Monitoring of environmental conditions (like heating and cooling) for optimal performance.
Virtual hosting is safer than shared hosting since each VPS-hosted website operates in isolation with its own disk space, applications, and operating system. The vulnerability associated with sharing disk space is eliminated with VPS web hosting as malicious programs or scripts have no access to the separate virtual accounts.
Why Hostgator VPS Hosting ?
Flexible and Easy to Use Software
- CentOS Linux with Full Root Access (64-bit with 32-bit Compatibility)
- Optional cPanel with WHM Control Panel
- Apache Web Server
- Supports: MySQL, PHP, Perl, Python (Django), Ruby (on Rails), FFMpeg
- Secured VPS with free IPTables Firewall
- Manage your VPS with Virtuozzo Power Panel
- Ability to install and customize applications
- Seamless kernel upgrades utilizing KSplice Uptrack
- Safe Harbor Certified
Cutting edge server hardware
- Dell PowerEdge Servers
- Fully Customized Hardware Specs
- Dual Nehalem CPUs (16 Hyperthreaded cores)
- Fault Tolerant RAID-10 Disk Array with Enterprise Drives
- DDR3 ECC RAM
Top of the line network
- Gigabit uplink with a guaranteed 20mbit connection
- Fully redundant network with no single point of failure
- Multiple layers of network security
- Multiple bandwidth providers (AboveNet, ATT, Comcast, Global Crossing, Level(3), NTT)
- State of the art Data Center with backup power generators and HVAC units.
Award winning support
- Fully Managed VPS Hosting (with cPanel)
- Weekly automated off site backups
- 24/7/365 Top notch support via Phone, Live Chat, and Ticket System (E-mail)
- 24/7/365 server monitoring